Gerber’s ‘spokesbaby of the year‘ is a child with Down Syndrome. Along with the exposure for a widespread public eye, as Gerber will be using the baby on social media and in advertising, it also puts under the spotlight parents who decided to keep their child rather than perform an abortion.
Anna Maria Tremonti, of CBC Radio’s The Current, recently aired a segment after the Gerber baby announcement concerning attitudes and abortion around babies with Down Syndrome. You can listen to the podcast and read the article over at The Current’s site..
We may still have a long way to go to encouraging mothers and parents that all lives are sacred and providing the support that all care-givers really need for their Down Syndrome babies, but this goes a long way in the public eye.
Check out Pass 312.org, the central website for information about an MP Motion in Canada for changing the criminal code to identify an unborn child as human (contrary to what the law currently says). Here’s a little bit of info from the site,
1. Canada’s Criminal code defines unborn children as non human beings!
2. One brave MP Stephen Woodworth has brought forward Motion 312 in an attempt to evaluate that law and possibly change it.
3. Every political party in Canada is opposing Motion 312. Prime Minister Stephen Harper made it clear that he will vote against it.
4. An estimated 100,000 plus letters and emails have been sent to our MPs this summer urging them to support Motion 312. And yet the word from MPs is that it will not pass unless they hear more from Canadians in support of it.
5. There are over 4,000,000 evangelical Christians in Canada. That means 4 million people who have no excuse for ignoring the abuse of our unborn children (Psalm82:2-4). Nearly 4 million people, however, who have no idea what Motion 312 is and have not yet contacted their MP in favor of it.
Not sure if a fetus is a human? Check out this article.
Contact your MP. Who’s your MP?
For more third party information about the motion check this article.